FUN FACTS ABOUT EYES!
- Throughout the world, 39 million people are blind and 234 million people have some kind of vision problem.
- 80% of vision problems in the world are avoidable and sometimes even curable!
- Some people (and huskies) have heterochromia – are born with two different colored
- Newborns do not produce tears until they are 4-13 weeks old! (They just make crying sounds)
- The eye can heal a corneal scratch in as little as 48 hours!
- There is no way YET to transplant an eyeball because the optic nerve head is too sensitive for full reconstruction. (You could be the first to find a way, who knows!)
- The average blink of an eye last for about 1/10th of a second and the average human blinks 12 times a minute! (That’s an average of 8,640 blinks in 12 hours!)
- Each eye is about 1 inch wide and weighs about 0.25 of an ounce! Only 1/6th of the eyeball is exposed.
- “Red eye” occurs in photos because light from the flash bounces off the back of the eye. The choroid is located behind the retina and is rich in blood vessels, which make it appear red in pictures.
- Yes, you can sneeze with your eyes open and no, your eyes won’t fall out.
- Dolphins can sleep with one eye open.